Prado Somthing Weird

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 17:43
ThreadID: 44461 Views:7926 Replies:14 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, this is very hard to desrcibe but here goes. VX Grande, V6 petrol,Auto, I have been told its common, have also been told its the rear brakes but I dont think its brakes. After I have stopped, when I reaply (start moving again) the accelerator its like a double movement. Its like a bush is worn in the suspension it feels to be coming from the rear, theres no definant clunking sound as such but you can feel it as if when you have stopped then when you accelerate like the diff moves a centimetre or so (just my way of describing)). Now I have had two mechanics look at one best mate who works for toyota who says it is common he has had the odd one or two do it, the other mechanic is also a member on here. Now the mechanic on here had it up on his wheel alignment ramp with his junior mechanic at the wheel running it forwards backwards while he was lying under neath seeing if there was any movement any where.Nothing, he checked all the bushes etc no movement in anything. So would it be any thing to do with the tranny, worn shocks (would this cause it) or any thing else that would be causing it. I know you people on here are a wealth of information so hopefully some one with a prado might have felt this before. If it a common thing as my mate says it is I will live with it.The vehicle is super smooth no vibrations when driving etc. Very weird feeling.Has been doing it since I test drove it but as said mate said its one of those things some do it some dont. He has also felt it in cruisers as well. Now I'm not knocking either of these mechanics for there expertise in the field as they know a sh#t load more than I do about cars but just thought some one may know what it is. The vehicle has never been smashed totally stock standard as in rig pic. Any thoughts ??? Regards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:12

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:12
Have you checked the stabiliser/sway bar bushes. They had a problem with them wearing out and they had some of the symptons you describe and then finally they would clunk.

DAvid
AnswerID: 234269

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:19

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:19
I'm pretty sure he did. He was under there with a short crowbar pushing and wedging here and there to see if any thing moving but will double check that out. Thankyou David Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495183

Follow Up By: PatNav - Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 19:48

Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 19:48
Hi stephen
Gee it sounds like time to through the towel in and upgrade to a patrol HAHA LOL just kiddin, I cant say i have herd of that noise your hearing so soory cant be of any help there,,PS I got my camper bloody great must organise a weekend to test it out
Hope u sort ya prob out
Cheers
FollowupID: 495492

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 20:48

Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 20:48
Hi there Patnav, yeah good on ya ha ha. Glad to see you got your camper. I find myn great to tow sits really well even at 110/130k's no sway nothing. Once you put it up and down a few times it will take no time at all and become a lot quicker. I find it takes my wife and I about 10mins to set up camper its self and about another 15 to erect the awning, bit more fiddling round with poles and stuff but all in all pretty quick and easy.Dont forget to grab yourself a piece of wood the width of the stabilzer legs at the rear to throw under them and just a small chock for the front jockey wheel. I just keep it in the trailer with poles etc. Yeah Im not to worried about it I went and got a wheel alighnment today at cc's in Penrith and soon as he got out after taking it for a run he commented on it and ah, same thump as mines got he said dont worry about it pretty common in them but going away this weekend but when I get back next week I am going to pull rear shaft out and give a good clean and regrease and whack back in as was siad above.Mt mate even suggested to pull rear shaft out take for a drive and if it doesnt do it has to be the slip yolk. Nothing serious just one of those annoying things but its only new to me so your always listening,looking etc when its a new toy but at the end of the day wont stop me going anywhere. Hopefully get the lift put in in a couple of weeks, wife put a stop to the funds at the moment till we catch back up again. Take it easy keep in touch and yes will give them a tryout one weekend Ill be in that. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495520

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:18

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:18
Hi Stephen,
Does it have ABS? I seem to remember my folks Range Rover doing the same thing when taking off. If I can recall it is something to do with the sensors talking to each other.
ABS was not around in my Mecanic days.

Rereading it does it have disk rear end or drum? If it has disk then a pad could be loose. Even a loose bolt in one of the calipers? Or a little wear in the caliper where the bolts go through. Come to think of it and which I have seen with a similar description you describe. A caliper bolt had been stripped and not been repaired properly causing a slight movement and creating a vibration through the vehicle including a click in the accelerator.

If it has drum brakes then I would check the shoes, the bolts that hold the backing plate etc.......

Hope this helps but it has been a little while since diagnosing a prob but always needs hear the problem and take for a drive to have a better idea
peter
AnswerID: 234270

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:35

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:35
Yes it does have ABS. It is disc brake rear end and yes I have heard from a mate of mine who is also a tour operator and he says his prado does it and it is the ABS I would have thought if it was that common that there would be more people complaining about it. The thing is when I release the brake pedal it starts to roll so would have thought if rear brakes were hanging on for a second or two after releasing the brake pedal it wouldnt roll but then again maybe?? Will have to take more notice tomorrow when driving it and see. Thanks Peter. All this info gives me more to look at and feel and listen. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495195

Follow Up By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:46

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:46
Steve,
It does make me think that one of the calipers is either moving or has worn a little. One caliper being slightly stuck will not cause the car to still be at a stand still. How many k's on the clock and is one of the handbrake cables slightly sticky. try spaying some wd40 down the cables. Does it have seperate shoes inside the rotors for the handbrake? How many k's on the clock when you purchased and had the rear brakes be done previous?
Am about to go to dinner so will think about it a little more.
FollowupID: 495199

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:49

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:49
Hi there Peter, 157 on the clock, I think it does have separte shoes inside the rear rotors for the handbrake not sure. I have had the recall done about 3 weeks ago when I first got it which involved complete new Backing Plates, Wheel bearings, Axles etc all suplied payd for and fitted by my mate at Lander. It was doing what it is doing prior to this work getting done and is still the same no worse no less so by replacing what they had to do has had no effect on the vehicle. He checked the rear pads whilst they had every thing apart and he said they were like new front ones are due to be replaced about 2/3 mil left. I dont use the handbrake unless parked on a hill. I can go for a week with out using handbrake if just running to and from work as I am parked on the dead flat ground at work and in the garage at night. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495233

Reply By: PeteS - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:38

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:38
Hi Stephen
I'm no mechanic and this is very unlikely the problem however I had a broken engine mount once and it gave me similar symptoms when I took off. Worth a look anyway.
Cheers
PeteS
AnswerID: 234275

Follow Up By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:00

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:00
handbrake as it moves off the drum and self centres
FollowupID: 495206

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:37

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:37
Hi there Oldsquizzy, not sure if that will affect the situation as I am talking about whilst driving ie already left work dont use hand brake at work as is parked on dead flat ground but it happens when ever I stop at lights for example then take off ?? Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495230

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:52

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:52
Hi there Pete, I did think of that but have even looked down at the tbar to see if I can see that moving excesively forwards or backwards and seems to be virtually no movement I would have thought if it had a dicky engine mount or gear box mount that his would move but hey, could be, didnt/havnt checked them so another place to check ?? Thanks Pete Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495236

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:59

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 18:59
Try disabling the ABS by pulling out the fuse and see if it still does it.
AnswerID: 234284

Follow Up By: Graham & Lynne - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:14

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:14
Backlash in centre diff. I have shimmed two 80 series cruisers fault is only noticeable in autos
FollowupID: 495216

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:01

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:01
Hi there Ian never thought of that. Thats why I love this site somthing as simple as that to eliminate 1 thing Thanks Ian will also give that a go.

Graham Lynne, not sure on that one as I had back lash in the lux and would make a high pinging noise when loading it up or first taking off. This is more of a forward movement after releasing the brakes. I have checked that but only by getting under neath and trying to move the tailshaft by hand clockwise anti clockwise and cant budge it where as in the lux the backlash was bad enough that I could put in nuetral and move the tailshaft probably a centre metre either way. Really needed to pull apart and get the limo and everything tightned but never did as I was selling it. But hey point still appreciated and will still check that out. Much appreciated Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495237

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:12

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:12
Hi there Ian, by pulling the fuse once I test it and put fuse back in again will I have to get anything reset by Toyota. Dont particulary want any warning lights staying on and having to be reset.I would imagine when I pull the fuse I will get the warning light on the dash but am hoping it will just go back to normal once fuse is put back in ??? Regards Steve m
FollowupID: 495240

Reply By: burnsy - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:50

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 19:50
Does your model have hill start control ? I have noticed on some small Jap trucks fitted with hill start that they hesitate until the brakes automatically release. This is probably part of the Abs & traction control. Worth a thought maybe some are calibrated differently than others.
AnswerID: 234295

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:05

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:05
Hi there burnsy, no doesnt have all that hill decent or traction control stuff just the ABS. Was mentioned above to pull the fuse on the ABS and give it a try and see wether it still happens. Thanks for the reply appreciated, all these things are worth having a look at and also show my mate all the replys so we can possibly come to a conclusion.My mate has even suggested pulling out the front shaft try it then the rear and see if that affects anything. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495238

Reply By: oldpop - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:03

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:03
Hello Stephen M
Had similar problem with 100 series
greased the tailshaft slip joints problem gone

Regards Oldpop
AnswerID: 234300

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:14

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:14
Hi there oldpop, yep had all that done couple of weeks ago greased every where that should be. My mate did this while they had it up on the hoist at his work when they did the recall. But will still double check Thankyou Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495241

Reply By: Graham & Lynne - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:27

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:27
To much grease in tail shaft can cause same problem is called' hydraulic lock'.take grease nipples out and drive it for few days to force excees grease out.RE ABS fuse removal yes will leave faulty code & light may not go out when fuse refitted
AnswerID: 234315

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:30

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:30
Will try the grease nipple trick as well Thankyou much appreciated. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495245

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 10:49

Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 10:49
If you get any fault code light after removing ABS fuse, jou just need to disconnect the battery for 30 mins and all fault codes will erase. You won't need to go back to Toyota. At least, that's what happens with the Jackaroo - surely the same with the Toyota??
FollowupID: 495373

Reply By: DaveNQ1 - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:42

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:42
Steve,
I had a very similar problem in my 120 series and have just recently had it fixed under warranty. I would pull up, and then when i accelerated something would seem to slip. After ruling out transmission and rear diff, the dealer moved to the slip yoke on the driveshaft. It was greased again but the thing still did it. I then heard about a service bulletin that was getting around in the dealerships in regards to the same slip yoke. Dealer then told me that the yoke had to come completely off and the spline itself had to be cleaned up. The grease itself was not enough. I had the work done and it has definately fixed it.
This is fairly common on the 120 series hence the service bulletin.

Hope thats all it is.
Cheers

Dave
AnswerID: 234320

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:58

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 20:58
Thanks Dave, sounds like a fairly easy job to do so should be able to do that myself. I did pull the hilux one apart when I did the centre bearing and was a piece of pis# so havnt had a look but would imagine same sort of set up. Never heard about that will have to let my mate know who works for toyota and drives the same vehicle as yourself and he did say the other day when I was talking to him about it that and he has even felt it in his own vehicle himself but no where near as noticeable as mine is. When you say clean it up do you mean just pull write out and wipe down and clean with a form of degreaser then put back in and regrease it ??? Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495266

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 21:11

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 21:11
Forgot to say his only has 35k on it as well so maybe mine has been getting worse with the more klms that went on it and original owner never really noticed it.Myn has 156 on it so could possibly have been there for a while and me being the fussy prick I am have really noticed it. But I suppose its like any thing new your listening more to make sure every things write. The old lux was like yep I know what that noise is, and yep I know the twang sound coming from the backend was the backlash in the diff etc you get used to everthing. We are currently planing our trip to frazer for early next year January and there are 4 definate vehicles going so far so we will all be making sure our vehicles are in tip top shape before we go. I'm still yet to do the suspension upgrade which will be in a couple of weeks but wanted to find out what this weird feeling is prior to touching anything else. Thanks again for the reply. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495273

Follow Up By: DaveNQ - Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 08:26

Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 08:26
Steve,
Mine was done under warranty with 80000 on the clock so i do not know exactly what they did. The service manager told me the spline itself had to be cleaned up.

Mine actually progressed to the point where it would let go when i pulled up at a set of traffic lights. This created a thud in the back end. This took a while to develop though. If you go to pradopoint.com there is a thread on the driveline issue under both the 90 and 120 series sections.
FollowupID: 495355

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 14:31

Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 14:31
Thanks alot Dave, the noise you decribe sounds exactly what myn is doing, will definately give that a look at. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495422

Reply By: Markymark - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 22:48

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 at 22:48
G'day Steve,

I answered this question for you on post 44129, not sure if you got back to it or not as it was down the bottom, or perhaps it made no sense! Not having a go for no reply, just wanted to let you know of another guess at the problem.

Cheers,

Mark.
AnswerID: 234356

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 07:59

Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 07:59
Hi Mark, no sorry I dont think I got an email saying that message was left or my wife opened it and didnt tell me ?? mmmm I think the wife opened more the reason and forgot to tell me,anyway I had the unis checked and all seems ok so going to check the slide yolk first sounds like it could be the problem. Thanks for the reply. I did another fuel cunsumption test last week after running around town stop start no highway/freeway and it was 16L per 100 which is fine by me. Thanks for the follow up Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495348

Reply By: Member - Arkay (SA) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 08:21

Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 08:21
I may be way off beam. I read a lot of stuff & my memory sometimes plays up. Doesn't the Grande have adjustable air bag suspension? I recall reading about a similar problem somewhere and the problem was the air bags (pumps ?) topping up every time the the acceleator was tickled up, presumeably it was not a noticeable once the vehicle was rolling.
Well I tried to help!
AnswerID: 234402

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 18:20

Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 18:20
Hi there Arkay, thanks for the reply but what you said is possible but the air bag suspension is in the later model prado 120 series grande. Thanks anyway but maybe some one reading this will realize what the noise in there 120series is if they didnt know and will now stop worrying about it. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495464

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 12:06

Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 12:06
The other cause mentioned on the Prado groups is the transfer chain - they stretch.
AnswerID: 234446

Reply By: SA_Patrol - Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 16:29

Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 16:29
Maybe an LSD problem.
AnswerID: 234514

Reply By: rags - Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 23:45

Thursday, Apr 19, 2007 at 23:45
Hi Stephen
Have recently had a problem with my 98 prado where there was a bit of movement in the rear that eventually developed into a knockin noise.It turned out the right rear shock had been moving about in the top mount wearing a larger hole in this mount and snapping the top off the shock. The mounting hole required welding up and a new pair off shocks, all fixed.May pay to check this although the access to the top shock nut is in a difficult position.
Thanks
Russell
AnswerID: 234642

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 21, 2007 at 00:29

Saturday, Apr 21, 2007 at 00:29
Thanks Russeel, will give this a check out as well, much appreciated all adds up to things I will check out. Hope thats not the case with mine, it hasnt done any off road work at all so not sure if this is some thing that is caused by rutted road etc or its smoething taht is common and can happen even driving on the black top. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 495844

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 21, 2007 at 00:31

Saturday, Apr 21, 2007 at 00:31
Thanks everyone for your imput, will check out all the things mentioned and will let you know if I find the cause if not Ill put it down to design fault and live with it. Thanks again Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 234875

Sponsored Links